Text: Hebrews 12:1-2, 1 Samuel 18:5-9
By Faith We are Strong was the theme of the night, I think his title was "On Your Mark."
He took these two scriptures and compared them; that in Hebrews it is telling the reader to stay focused and then in 1 Samuel, Saul focused on David instead of his own purpose. Good stuff right there out of the gate!
Who are you racing? Who are you chasing after instead of running the race God has set for you?
Comparing yourself to others is dangerous because in doing so, you are trying to achieve something you weren't created for.
- Comparison is the enemy of destiny. 2 Corinthians 10:12
- Comparison will consistently cloud the clarity of God's call on your life. (wow!)
- God has already given you everything you need to accomplish his call.
- Stop complaining to the master about the pieces you didn't get and realize you are a masterpiece. Ephesians 2:10
- Stay in your lane and keep your eyes on Jesus.
- Universal: to be more like Jesus.
- Unique: to be different from anyone else.
Saul is a case study of the downward spiral, and what comparison can do to your life.
- The focus of your life is never supposed to be on you.
- Comparison always starts with "...but me."
How to know if you are a "but me" person
- If you can't celebrate the successes of other people.
- If you are stingy with your compliments.
- If there is anyone in your life that you would be happy to see fail.
He also talked about social media and what a dangerous tool of comparison it has become. He asked, have our screens become mirrors of our lives?
This was really good food for thought. Our enemy sets up traps for comparison for us all the time, and I will admit that I've fallen hard into them at times. But God called me for a specific purpose, and I don't want to miss out on what he has for me by getting sidetracked in comparison.