Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Let the Children Come


Tonight I took the K-6th Graders on a field trip to the International Museum of Cultures. We were treated to a private tour of the Torah Project. This is the only known collection of the entire Old Testament in one place. It was really amazing. Not only did we feel pretty special because no one else was there, but the kids know the Education Director of the Museum, Ani, our Pastor's daughter. So it was intimate and fun and special.
When we think about what church was like for people when these scrolls were written, it's a world away from what church is for us today. Ani told us that the only book that the Jewish people would have in their homes is the book of Esther, because it didn't have the name of God in it anywhere. The books with the name of God were only kept in the temples because it was the holy place.
I love that the word of God was so reverenced. I love the picture above; seeing those little fingers touching the Hebrew scriptures, and knowing that Jesus said, "let the children come to me." What a great word picture.
When Jesus came to us, he brought with him accessibility to God as never before.
When he left us, he gave us the comforter and his living word. I don't want to take for granted that I have the Holy Scriptures in my home, always at my fingertips.

No comments: