Friday, March 9, 2012

This is Why I Love Being a Children's Pastor #7: Kids Can Find the Good in Just About Anything

Today is MOPS (Mother's of PreSchooler's) day at DFC.  Since the director is out, I said I would get here early and open up the building for the set up team.  I got to spend a few seconds (yea seconds-they are busy guys...) with the kids who got here early.  They were busy greeting each other, running in and out of every room and finding objects to make light sabers and swords out of (did I say they were boys?).





In not very long, their attention drifted to the empty waterfall thing that used to be a fountain with goldfish in it.  We're not quite sure what to do with it just yet, but it had to be emptied because the water was leaking into the elevator shaft and the tree was so big that it was about to break the windows.  (I'm holding out for an indoor playground myself.)

Right now, it's just empty.  After lots of questions about where the fish are; where did the water go and many more..it became a jungle gym, a mountain of rocks, and a hideout all within the span of about 5 minutes.

And that's what I love about kids.  They are able to bounce on to the next thing.  Yea, they're kinda sad that the goldfish are gone (they went home with Macy). They noticed that the money in the bottom is gone (we gathered it all up and used it for our Sponsor Child).  But now they get to go in the big middle of the "pond" and climb and play and laugh and imagine. 

There's a lesson there for me.  When things change-and they always do-I can refocus my energy, readjust my plan and realign my steps so that I won't miss the next thing. Because the next thing always follows change.  And like my friends, the light-saber wielding explorers, taught me...it's not such a bad thing!

No comments: