Tuesday, February 2, 2010

This is why I Love Being a Children's Pastor #3 Kids are Real

Sunday in Children's Worship the theme was finishing well.  I read out of 2 Corinthians the littany of hardships, sacrifices, personal offronts, etc. that Paul went through in the name of Jesus.  It is an amazing review if you are tempted to grumble about your situation!

I talked to the kids about finishing what you start, and to have a little fun with them, during the worship songs, we didn't finish any of them.  I let the kids choose which songs they wanted to sing, so of course we sang their favorites...and then they didn't get to finish them.  Ha!!

A little guy in the back raised his hand and this was the conversation that we had:
He:  Ms. Mary, I'm not gonna ask Jesus into my heart!
Me:  Really?  Well you really should, you're missing out!
He:  Nope, I don't want to!  Not now!
Me:  Ok, that's fine.
He:  I'm gonna do it when I retire.

It was really cute, he's in kindergarten. 
After church I thought about it and at first, I thought that it was a bad thing, and that maybe I handled it poorly.  I began the self-chastisement that comes so quickly when I make a mistake, but then I stopped.

I thought of all the adults that I have come across-across the years, who question their decision to follow Christ.  They aren't sure of when it happened, or wonder that they were so young, did it really happen?  They end up struggling, in many cases, and live a frustrated and paralyzed life with Christ.

  • I'm so glad I didn't try to talk this little guy into making a decision for Christ when he's clearly not ready! 
  • I'm sure going to pray that God will use me or other appropriate adults in his life to answer questions, and guide him to the cross and that he will ask Jesus into his heart when the time is right. 
  • I'm so glad that I had the presence of mind, and the presence of the Holy Spirit in my words and my facial expressions, and my body language...to just accept his answer...for now!
So back to the title of this post.  I love it that kids are real. 
I love it that when they trust you and the environment, they can be honest, and just say what they think. 

It puts a whole new spin on that whole "iron sharpens iron" thing, now, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's an awesome idea! not finishing the songs to illustrate your lesson!